Friday, February 25, 2011

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum Kid's Day


So this Monday I spent the day with my friend and her friends at the Rebel Legion and 501st at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum! I've never been to the Intrepid museum before but I've wanted to go for quite some time and now that I'm living most of the time here in NYC it had made it's way up my list of things I wanted to do. Fortunately for me, my friend is in the Rebel Legion and was allowed to bring one guest for free to tour the museum and hang out with all the cool people who participated in the event. Yes, it also involved free lunch which is basically a poor college student's favorite thing.

It was a whole ton of fun because we got to take plenty of silly pictures of ourselves, and for the first hour we were there no one had shown up yet, so we got to see a good majority of the museum without fighting around the tourists! I thought it would be cool to put up a few of the cooler pictures we took. If you click on them you can see the full size versions!
Here are some of the ones my friend and I took next to the exhibits.


The Stormtroopers wandering around looked really cool.


Here's one of my friend. She was in her Jaina Solo costume.


Another of random Stormtrooper wanderings.


One of my favorite pictures of my friend. Her stance was making fun of the stance Obi-Wan uses all too often in the Clone Wars, and in Episode III.


Finally here are some of the planes:


The flight deck with some of the planes.


Helicopters, among them an Army one and a Coast Guard one.


One of the Blue Angels planes.


Cool looking plane. That's me standing in front of it.




Another shot of the Coast Guard helicopter.


Now, on to some of the serious pictures I took at the Intrepid. This is the memorial wall with the names of all the crewmen that died on the Intrepid between 1943-1974. I don't know the exact number, but it's certainly quite a lot. Too many, I say.



And finally, here's a shot of all (or most) of the 501st and Rebel Legion costumers that were there!


This is the shot that was taken outside. In the freezing cold.



And just for kicks, here's a quick video of what it was like waiting for the elevator to arrive to get back inside. Felt like just another day on a Star Destroyer...


Thanks to Puppetry Arts and the Intrepid for inviting the Rebel Legion and 501st garrisons to show up and entertain the kids! I think everyone that showed up at Intrepid had a lot of fun, and I'm not just talking about the kids and parents, the guests and everyone dressed up had a great time. I've been wanting to join the Rebel Legion and 501st for a long time, but this has finally given me a real glimpse into what these groups do and encouraged me to finish a costume so I can join in the fun. 

On both the Rebel Legion and 501st sites there are links to look for events nearby, and I highly suggest that you take a look for nearby events that they will be at because it's guaranteed to be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment