Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Twitter Conversation

I'm starting to think I spend altogether too much time on Twitter lately. I used to simply use it to 'follow' the people that I liked, such as the Official Star Wars account, Green Day, Matt Nix, Jeff Eastin, Daniel Logan and a few others. Lately, though, I've been using it to collect 'friends' who also like Star Wars. That seemed all well and good for a while, but I think I'm starting to notice that 140 characters is really not enough to get the proper point across to another person. Some people are skilled at it. I'm not. (As I'm sure some of my lengthier posts have proven)

Anyway, that's not directly the problem that I had with one other Twitter user and blogger, Club Jade. Before I get into it, let me go ahead and post the conversation we had on Twitter the other day. Before anyone complains about me altering the conversation or anything, I screen capped this right from my Twitter page thanks to the way the new Twitter works, and I really wouldn't have the patience to fight with Microsoft Paint to change what was said.


First, I'd just like to say that I hope no one over at Club Jade gets any hard feelings over this, I'm just thinking out loud over here.

Personally, if repeat questions over a potential Republic/Imperial Commando books are getting frustrating, I would just go ahead and do as I suggested. Diverting readers attention to another series by the same author seems like a reasonable thing to do. First of all, it's very easy to make the switch from Star Wars to Gears of War or Halo, since I'm sure most Star Wars fans play at least one if not both of those games anyway. Plus, Karen Traviss' writing style is close enough that it might just satisfy other fans' needs for war, bloody battles, people that say 'arse' instead of 'ass', bulky armor and the comraderie that was at the center of the Republic Commando books (and therefore the basis of Mandalorian culture).

It sounds to me like someone over at Club Jade has some kind of grudge or pent up anger at Karen Traviss. And that's too bad, not because she's one of my favorite authors, but because who ends up really missing out are Club Jade's readers. Obviously there are readers who go to that site looking for updates on Star Wars and other books, and if they're not aware that there are other options available to them then they're missing out.

Anyway, if anyone over at Club Jade reads this hope there are no hard feelings. I'm a fan of the blog, and just sharing my own thoughts on why I don't think there's any reason to discourage or not mention other Karen Traviss books even if one doesn't like her as an author.

No comments:

Post a Comment