Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Discovering Star Wars

As I mentioned in one of my other posts, the little boy I babysit has been watching Star Wars since I loaned him my dvds. Over the weekend he watched Episodes IV and V. He loved them! I was so excited. He had a few questions, understandably, and I again tried to be careful to answer his questions when it pertained to confusion, not to things that would be a spoiler to him.

I asked him which movie he liked better, and he said he liked Episode V better. I couldn't have been more proud! I then showed him some videos from when I was at the convention in Orlando. The first one I showed him was this one:



I thought he'd enjoy it because it's a little kid about his age, going up against a guy dressed as Anakin Skywalker in Episode II. That's when he made the cutest comment. He gets excited and looks at me and goes, "wow! they're using the real props like in the movies!" Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to tell him that they're just using FX lightsabers

I've also been showing him a few things that I bring from my house that I think he'll enjoy. I brought a small pop up X-wing book, and a few different toys that I have. Yesterday I ordered my Star Wars sneakers from Adidas, and when they come in tomorrow I'll definitely show him those!

He's in the middle of watching Episode VI right now, and I'm looking forward to what he thinks of the end of the saga. He hasn't asked me about Darth Vader being Luke's father, or Luke and Leia being siblings even though he's up to when they all arrive at the Ewok village. I haven't yet asked him whether or not he believes Vader is Luke's father, but I'll approach that with him soon.

I'm really enjoying re-discovering Star Wars with him because even though I was also 10 years old when I fatefully became engrossed with the universe, I saw things differently than he does, and it's fun to see things the way he does. Especially things like Vader being Luke's father because I had seen the movies before growing up with my dad, so there were very few things that were surprising to me, I just simply understood them better and had a better understanding of how vast the Star Wars universe was, and continues to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment