Friday, October 7, 2011

750 Words

I don't even remember how I came across this site, but I recently discovered the site 750words.com and have been enjoying it quite a lot. Basically, the function of the site is to provide people with a private place to 'free write' every day. The goal is to write at least 750 words, no matter what it's about. It's just meant to convince people to write every single day no matter what the content is or the grammar or spelling.

What makes it fun is that the site keeps track of things like how quickly it takes you to write the 750 words, how many words per minute you write and even how often you use certain words in a post. There's also a point system which gives you points every time you complete the goal. As you go the more points you get. If you can convince friends to get on the site and you want some friendly competition, that's a way to keep track of it.

The site also tracks a ton of other things that pertain to what you've written and can compare it to other days you succeed in the goal. It's a lot of fun to look at even if I don't always understand what the stats are for or how they are compiled. My favorite thing about it is that it helps me write every day because I like to see how how I can get my streak. It can be hard to remember, and after the first three days I completely forgot about it, but I try to make myself write even when I stare at the site and think about all the other things I'd like to be doing. I love that I can just write about whatever comes to mind because it's private. No one else is going to read it, and even I don't bother going back to check the jibberish I come up with. It's easy to just hop from topic to topic and not care that it doesn't all make sense or that I misspell plenty of words along the way.

Thinking ahead, I think it'll be a great way to keep track of my National Novel Writing Month stats. It's easy to see how many words you've written, and it saves the document every 10 seconds or so which means I don't have to be afraid of my computer crashing and potentially losing everything. I even love that every night it's just a fun way to organize my thoughts on what I did during the day and what I need to do the next day. Basically, 750words.com is my new favorite website, and if you're at all interested in writing or just want a new place to keep a journal then I highly recommend that you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment