Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review: Jedi Academy on Steam

As my friends on theforcebook.com are aware, sometimes we all get together and play the game Jedi Academy online. They all recommended picking it up and because I wanted to be able to play online with my friends I went ahead and got the game from Steam.


When I bought the game, I discovered pretty quickly that Steam has a rather strange setup for playing their games. That could just be because I'm an absolute novice at downloading and playing PC video games, though. I purchased the game and then before I could download it I had to download Steam. Initially I had quite a few problems with the download process. I got as far as Steam telling me it was updating, and then it would close, and when I tried to open it, it complained about the following error:

Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam you must first connect to the internet.

I sent an email to the Steam support people, but I really wanted a quick answer so I took to the internet. None of the solutions I came up with were very helpful, though. After some time working on it, though, my dad figured out that thanks to the firewall settings of our router Steam couldn't properly retrieve updates. So we lowered our router firewall settings and I was able to complete the install, download my games and I only need to lower the firewall when I want to play online with my friends. Otherwise as long as I'm only playing locally it doesn't impact me playing my game.

Overall, I enjoy playing the game. I'm not used to PC games because I've played Jedi Academy on my xbox, so going from a button system I'm used to, to a keyboard control system that I have absolutely no idea how to use. It's very distracting. But I like to think I'm getting better at it. Now that I know how to set up my firewall settings accordingly I'm having a lot more fun with the game. If you play online drop me a comment because I'd love to find other players to play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment